Edward H. Burnbaum, Esq.
In more than 35 years of experience, Edward H. Burnbaum, Esq. has represented major players in high-profile acquisitions. His substantial transactional expertise and business acumen are well known. By virtue of his deep understanding of the myriad issues affecting complex transactions, and his practical, cost-effective approach to difficult problems, Ed is sought out by businesses and individuals on both the state and national levels, as well as by start-up, small, and mid-size businesses in need of corporate representation, guidance in governance issues, and transactional work. Ed also serves as outside general counsel to several companies in the healthcare, real estate, energy, and power industries.
Represents the prominent real estate investment firm Cammeby’s International and the Schron family and their various affiliated entities:
- as transaction counsel in a $940 million and $120 million CMBS tiered debt financings involving 186 properties.
- as the option seller of one of the largest portfolio of skilled nursing and other care facilities in the United States, in a complex and multifaceted transaction.
- as the finance and investment partners for a portfolio of real estate underlying a group of 35 facilities located in Texas and Pennsylvania.
- as transactional counsel in connection with a complex civil dispute concerning the control of one of the nation’s largest healthcare real estate, long-term care, and ancillary companies.
- as finance counsel in connection with HUD and conventional refinancing totaling several hundred million dollars.
- as transaction counsel in a $128 million bridge to HUD financing.
- as transaction counsel in the divestiture of properties in several states.
Represents Prestige-Madison-Northpoint Healthcare in its:
- purchase of the Medilodge 15 skilled nursing facilities in Michigan in a REIT-financed transaction.
- purchase of operations of 33 healthcare facilities in Michigan and Ohio acquired from Extendicare.
- acquisition of real estate and operations of various skilled nursing portfolio properties in both REIT and non-REIT transactions in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Michigan, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, and Tennessee.
- formation and documentation of Gencare, a group purchasing organization.
- financing of a rehabilitation services company.
Represented Life Choice Hospice, one of the nation’s largest hospice companies, in its:
- roll-up with Trident Healthcare in a transaction valued at approximately $800 million.
- purchase of the 11-state SolAmor Hospice spin-off in conjunction with the acquisition of Sun Healthcare by Genesis Healthcare.
- acquisitions of sizeable hospice companies in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.
- initial private equity raise, all subsequent secondary raises, and a GE $65 million credit facility.
Has acted as outside general counsel to Life Choice Hospice in connection with a variety of matters, including general corporate counseling and compliance, employment, and regulatory issues:
- roll-up of the hospice holding company equity interest of the Trident Compassus Hospice in combination.
Represents Absolut Facilities and affiliates, a provider of skilled nursing services in a portfolio of homes in New York State, with respect to various acquisitions in New York and other states.
Acts as outside general counsel to Absolut in connection with a variety of matters, including general corporate counseling and compliance, employment, and regulatory issues.
Represented the largest psychologist services company in the U.S. in its merger with a private equity holding company.
Represents National Home Care Holdings, LLC (Millenium Home Health) in its:
- purchase of the stock of Recovery Home Health in one of the larger recent home health transactions in Florida.
- acquisitions of other home health agencies in Pennsylvania and Delaware.
- initial private equity raise.
- current ABL financing facility.
Acts as outside general counsel to NHCH and Millenium Home Health in connection with a variety of matters, including general corporate counseling and compliance, employment, and regulatory issues.
Acts as outside general counsel to Madison-Prestige in connection with a variety of matters, including general corporate counseling and compliance, employment, and regulatory issues.
Represented the private equity investment group purchaser of Mobilex USA from the Integrated Health Services, Inc. bankruptcy proceeding. Once acquired, represented Mobilex USA in its:
- purchase of various ancillary service providers, including diagnostic and portable X-rays, ultrasound, and labs.
- reorganization and sale to private equity groups Audax and Frazier Healthcare in a transaction valued at $150 million.
Acted as outside general counsel to Mobilex USA in connection with a variety of matters, including general corporate counseling and compliance, employment, and regulatory issues.
Represents various owners of long-term healthcare and assisted living facilities in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada, Texas, Nebraska and Washington D.C. handling acquisitions, divestitures, and various real estate and asset-based financings, including REIT and HUD-insured financings.
Served as Northeast counsel to a national healthcare REIT in connection with a multistate, cross-collateralized lending facility to the owner-operator of long-term care facilities.
Represented the investors in the purchase and tax-driven divestiture of 11 long-term healthcare facilities from the most prominent healthcare owners in Cleveland, including the negotiation of a multi-tiered debt structure (purchase price more than $150 million).
Represents the MUSA Holdco, LLC family of companies, including Quasar Energy Systems, LLC, and Merlin Power Systems, LLC, all engaged in the power management systems and fuel cell businesses, with respect to their:
- initial and subsequent private offering capital raises.
- negotiation of licensing and royalty agreements for various worldwide manufacturing and distribution rights for fuel cells and power systems.
- acquisition of strategic stock interests in WATT Fuel Cell Corp. and Merlin Equipment Limited (UK).
Represented a large regional payroll services company in an assets sale to a private equity fund.
Represented a New York City-based bank in connection with various asset-based lending facilities to New York State long-term care facility operators.
Represents Mid-America Renewal Fuels, Inc., an ethanol company, in connection with various prospective acquisitions and as outside general counsel to the company.